What happened in January 2015: socio-cultural, literary, and political news and events relating to Viet nam and to the Vietnamese diaspora.
Have you subscribed to diaCRITICS yet? Subscribe and win prizes! Read more details.
Viet Kieu in the news
• Attorney Andrew Do’s win in the O.C. supervisor race represents a rise of Asian American politicians.
• vietnamese American protesters demand that Riverside sever its city ties with Can Tho, Vietnam.
News about Viet Nam
• Dissident journalist and blogger Doan Trang says, “It is time for us to build our society, our economy, and not abandon it.”
• The third of six planned Kilo-class attack submarine arrives in Vietnam.
• Forbes Vietnam unveils its “30 Under 30” list, featuring 30 Vietnamese individuals who stand out in their industries.
• Vietnamese mime artist Nguyen Hoang Tung performs in the hope that pantomine makes a comeback in Vietnam.
• Vietnam opens its first hotline service to help protect Vietnamese citizens abroad.
• Where gay rights are concerned, Vietnam is progressing faster than some U.S. states.
• Andrew Lam opines on the “atmosphere of disrespect” for teachers in the U.S.
• Ignoring international laws, China continues construction of port and other facilities in disputed waters in the East Sea.
Special thanks to Viet Thanh Nguyen for providing many of the news items.