The DVAN-Millay New Author Residency is a special partnership with Millay Arts to celebrate and lift up one author who recently published their first book. For this residency, a new author will be selected through a juried process for a fully funded residency for the month of October 2023. The residency includes a private bedroom and studio, shared living spaces, a laundry room, a workstation, and the use of the Alumni and Nancy Graves Memorial Libraries. Bedding and linens are provided. Groceries are included along with communal dinners prepared by the in-house chef.
- Self-identify as diasporic Vietnamese or Southeast Asian.
- Have published one book in the last 1-3 years, excluding self-published or vanity presses
- International applicants are encouraged to apply, but we are only able to consider submissions in English. Please be advised that DVAN cannot assist in paying for international travel.
- Only one submission per person is allowed for either the DVAN-Millay New Author residency or the DVAN-Luce Global Collective Residency – but not both.
- All attendees must have Proof of Vaccination and a minimum of one booster.
- Applicants must be available for the full duration of the residency.
- Applicants must use a Gmail account to access our application.
- Deadline for the application is May 31, 2023 at 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time.
We are accepting submissions of previously published creative nonfiction, fiction, and poetry for the 2023 Millay Residencies.
- Submissions must be:
- 5 – 10 pages of previously published stories, excerpts, essays, or poems.
- Standard formatting: Times New Roman font, 12-point size, with regular 1-inch margins, and page numbers.
- Single-spaced, please!
- Word documents only.
- All submissions exceeding 10 pages will be disqualified.
- Submissions must also include:
- a one-page cover letter (single-spaced, 300 words or less) stating your interest in the residency and why your work aligns with Millay.
- a CV outlining your publications, readings, work, accolades of 3 pages or less.
- Please do not…
- include your name anywhere on the manuscript. Submissions are reviewed anonymously.
- include a cover page.
- submit newspaper journalism, co-authored work, screenplays, or self-help literature.
- The submission period closes May 31, 2023, at 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time. Submissions received after the deadline will not be read.
- There is a $35 application reading fee.
- DVAN reserves the right to reject any entries that do not follow these rules.
Instructions for Applying
Using a Google Form for the DVAN-Millay New Author Residency, submit a 5-10 page Writing Sample of your previously published work following the Manuscript Guidelines and Rules above.
PLEASE NOTE: Since we use Google Forms for the application, you will be asked to sign in with a Gmail account.