What happened in December 2014: news and events relating to Vietnamese at home and in the diaspora. Socio-cultural, literary, and political news and events relating to Viet nam and to the Vietnamese diaspora.
Have you subscribed to diaCRITICS yet? Subscribe and win prizes! Read more details.
Viet Kieu in the news
• After decades of nightmares, a Vietnamese refugee finds solace through painting.
• A Vietnamese orphan from the controversial airlift, Operation Babylift,“has spent his life questioning who he is and what could have been.”
News about Viet Nam
• The canonization of Father Francis-Xavier Truong Buu Diep “has given the green light.”
• Vietnam’s high abortion rate suggests problem stems from conflicting contraception advice.
• Vietnamese coffee is known for its thick sweetened condensed milk.
• Through formal submission to the United Nations Arbitral Tribunal in The Hague, Vietnam supports the Philippines’ arbitration case. [Reuters][Bloomberg]
• Vietnamese writer, Nguyen Quang Lap, has been arrested for reportedly publishing criticism of the Communist government on his blog.
• Le Quy Duong has become the first Vietnamese to elected to the executive council of the International Theater Institute (ITI).
• Contestant Nguyen Thi Loan is
in the top 25 of the Miss World 2014.
• Hu tieu is setting the Vietnam’s Mekong Delta on a path to prosperity.
• The lingering issue of land rights remains a difficult problem.
Special thanks to Viet Thanh Nguyen for providing many of the news items.